- This event has passed.
Meet the Trees at Briggs-Boesch Farm!
September 16, 2017 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
East Greenwich Land Trust welcomes you to a guided walk featuring the trees of the Briggs-Boesch Farm. Originally purchased by John Briggs in 1672, with structures built as early as 1704 by his son Richard, the Briggs family owned and farmed in this area of East Greenwich (extending, at times, as far west as Narrow Lane) for some 180 years; the current farmhouse and the main bay of the barn are a classic example of a New England farmstead from this period.
Since leaving the Briggs’ family control in 1850, the Farm has had 7 owners; most recently, the Boesch family who owned the current farm holding for almost 50 years. Besides the farm fields and varied woodland, the property contains several historic structures and an historic cemetery. In June 2003 the farmstead was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The East Greenwich Municipal Land Trust purchased the 90 acre farm in October 2001. Currently, the Briggs-Boesch Farm serves as the southern anchor of the Town’s greenway system, providing publicly accessible trails throughout the property’s fields and forests.
The Farm is also home to Pat’s Pastured, a pasture-raised livestock farm operation across much of the property that promotes sustainable farming and vegetable cultivation. For more information, please visit http://www.patspastured.com
Walk will be 1-2 miles over a variety of terrain on a working farm. Be sure to dress for the day’s weather in comfortable walking shoes.
Briggs-Boesch Farm is located at 830 South Road, East Greenwich, RI (please park in parking lot by Briggs-Boesch white farm sign at trailhead, across from subdivision). For more details including a trail map, visit ExploreRI at: http://www.exploreri.org/gSiteReport2.php?siteID=73&src=siteList